Friday, July 27, 2012

Polka Dot Tunics

I’m just so head-over-heels for this black and white polka dot fabric from Michael Miller called Ta Dots. Gonna buy more in case it it discontinued.

DSC_0619 copy

I first fell in love with it seeing this fabulous dress from this fabulous etsy seller. Feanna from Kate Emerson designs is great and easy to work with so if you don’t sew, take a look at her shop for kids’ clothing. Amazing stuff. And the photography by Kara May just makes this dress irresistable.  I just realized my niece is holding a white dog above and so is the model below! Not staged, promise!

katemerson

I made my 8-year old daughter Hallie a size 12 tunic using Simplicity 3743. I used this pattern many times, including here. Patterns tend to run small on bigger girls. This top, even in a size 12, needed a good 4 inches added to the length. And the elastic casing guide for the neck is way too long so I had Hallie try on the tunic and then I quickly cut off a good 6 inches of elastic from the neckline.

DSC_0645

And for my 4-yr old niece Laura I made a size 2 for her using New Look 6956. Patterns tend to run large on younger girls. The only change I made on Laura’s dress was to gather the bottom of the sleeves and bind them using the same fabirc. Much cuter than those bows in the picture which will only wrinkle after washing.

photo

Just kiding, I also opted for an invisible zipper closure instead of a centered zipper.

polka dot dress (1)

polka dot dress (4)

DSC_0616 copy

You better believe come fall Hallie will wear her tunic with leggings and boots. My little niece is also stylishy organized with her lace leggings and neon sandels. Love those girls!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...