Thursday, June 04, 2009

Camp Sew Fun

Banner patterns available at meringuedesigns cheaper than on etsy. DSC_0014

The kids have been out of school just about a week now, but so far so good.  IDSC_0020 must admit I was a bit anxious as the school year came to an end. After all, the kids fight like cats and dogs on the weekend so who is to say that the other five days of the week would yield a different result? Most days I believe that my kids would sell each other for a nickel—with or without a coat of many colors. So what’s a mom to do? Structure is the answer my friends.
I decided that every Tuesday this summer would be Camp Sew Fun in our house. So for this week’s projects the kids wanted  to make banners for their rooms. Imagine that, their mom makes and sells banners to everyone else on the planet, and yet my own kids don’t even have one. So I put one of my sewing machines on the lowest possible speed (lest Camp Sew Fun result in a trip to the E.R. for removal of a sewing machine needle) and let the kids sew their own banners. They picked their own fabrics, traced the letters, cut them out, and pieced them together. My oldest son had the hardest time cutting out his letters and my youngest daughter excelled at cutting hers.  Go figure. Now I just need to figure out what we can sew the rest of the summer.
 DSC_0030

12 comments:

Casey said...

Great idea. Summer hasn't started here yet. Can I just copy everything you do? Seriously, how do you do it?

Cynthia said...

you can copy me casey although some of our projects might be silly bean bags to play catch.

Ilene said...

I am SEW impressed.

Oh, I am hilarious.

But I am impressed- not only on their sewing skills but also their fabric and color choices.

I especially love how Hallie's name is displayed twice on her wall. You can never have your name displayed too many places when you are a kid.

Can I enroll? My mom would be so happy.

Win said...

What a fabulous idea Cynthia! I am positive the kids just love doing it as well! What fun memories hey will have!

Candy said...

so cute! good job!

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea. What about pillows, etc. Those are easy-peasy. It is just two rectangles sewn together. It should be pretty easy, right?

Love,
Patty

LaurieJ said...

I am with you on the structure.
I think you need to add a swimming date with the Jacobson's onto your calendar...or lunch with just the mom's :-)

Carolyn#2 said...

That is so cool Cynthia! I've done this with Marlon before. He can make washcloths, and bean bags (of any shape). I think I'll do that this summer too. You could also do a cooking day. My kids love when I let them help in the kitchen.

nicole said...

oh look at you all good mom. seriously such a good idea-too bad I don't sew. Maybe I'll have my kids help with packing.

Brian and Carly said...

You are an awesome mom! I'm inviting myself to your camp sew fun.

Anonymous said...

can I send my kids to your house for a little structre!!! Man, we're missing that around here :) I love your idea, and I'm very impressed with the results. Must run in your family!

Brittany & Barry said...

Those are incredible! I can't believe Hallie did all that herself!? She is a talented little one - so cool!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...