Friday, July 04, 2008

Batik Quilted Purse


I've been meaning to make myself a colorful purse for summer. Well, you know the phrase, the cobbler's children have no shoes? It's taken me forever to make something for myself and not for my store. I bought a few of these hand-dyed batiks from a fellow etsy member's shop--A Stitch in Dye--good grief her stuff is gorgeous! I've used some of the pieces for an overly-ambitious queen size quilt I'm working on (stay tuned) and the rest for this gorgeous bag. (The other two Batiks I bought from that horrible chain store that shall remain nameless.)

Last night after dinner I had had it with my kids--their messes, their fighting, and arguing. So I retreated to my studio to make myself a new bag. I quilted this assymetrical bag with feather stitches, a modified zig-zag, and plain ol' straight stitches. I finished it off with a canvas lining with plenty o' pockets and a magnetic snap. Two hours later I emerged with this bag and a smile on my face. Hello, summer!

11 comments:

Malka Dubrawsky said...

I love it! I really like the piecing and the zig zag quilting. Enjoy your new bag.

jessica said...

Two hours later!!!! Are you kidding me????? I seriously need to be more productive with my "kids-are-driving-me-nuts" retreat time.

Beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

That's amazing Cynthia!! I love the bag, all the stitching detail is really cool. I also love the fabrics. Great job
Carolyn#2

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I love the bag, Cyn! Hey, howcome you don't send me emails anymore when you post a new blog????

Love,
Patty

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patta Patta said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ilene said...

Tell Patty to get a reader account to give her updates. Life is so much easier that way.

I've had no time for retreat from my children lately. You can tell because I haven't blogged in a week; much less sewn a purse.

Cynthia said...

Ilene--If you call going into one's sewing room a retreat, then yes, I retreat all the time. I prefer retreats like dates out with Paul and nights away from the kids. Haven't either of those in a looooong time.

Cynthia said...

haven't had i mean.

Jen said...

I love your new bag! You amaze me! I have people freaking out over my new bag a certain up-and-coming designer made for me! Thanks for helping me look good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...